Transcontinental Railroad Tour - Great Race to Ogden Saturday – April 27, 2019
Event DescriptionThe commemorative tour schedule for the Big Boy No. 4014 and Living Legend No. 844 are now online at https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm.
The iconic steam locomotives will join together in a public display for the first time May 9 in Ogden, Utah, during Union Pacific's celebratory event marking the transcontinental railroad's 150th anniversary.
The festivities include recreating the iconic photo taken May 10, 1869, when the last spike was tapped into place at Promontory Summit, creating America's first transcontinental railroad. Union Pacific no longer has tracks near Promontory Summit. They were removed to support the scrap metal projects during World War II.
Living Legend No. 844 will leave Cheyenne, Wyoming, April 27.
It will make several brief whistle-stops in communities along its route, stopping in Rock Springs and Green River, WY on April 27 & 28, 2019:
- Rock Springs Sat April 27 at 4:45PM, departing Sun April 28 at 8AM
- Green River Sun April 28 at 8:45AM – 9:15AM
Big Boy No. 4014 will leave Cheyenne May 4 following a 9:30 a.m. MT christening ceremony at the historic Cheyenne Depot and arrive in Ogden for the May 9 celebratory event culminating in the Big Boy joining with The Living Legend No. 844. The celebratory event will be streamed live May 9 at 10:30 a.m. MT via the Union Pacific Facebook page.
The Big Boy will make several brief stops in communities on its way to Ogden:
- Wamsutter Sun May 5 at 9:15AM - 10AM
- Rock Springs Sun May 5 at 11:15AM, depart Mon May 6 @ 4AM
- Green River Mon May 6 @ 4:55AM - 5:10AM
Following the 150th anniversary celebrations in Ogden, No. 4014 and No. 844 will double-head on their return trip to the Union Pacific Steam Shop in Cheyenne, stopping in communities along the way including:
- Green River Mon May 13, 2019 at 11:50AM - 12:05PM
- Rock Springs Mon May 13 at 12:45PM, on display Tues May 14 9AM - 3PM and departing Thurs May 16 @ 8AM
- Point of Rocks Thurs May 16 @ 9AM - 9:15AM
- Wamsutter Thurs May 16 @ 10:30AM - 11:30AM